Volunteer with us

Volunteers working in our contact centre

Every year we recruit and train seventy to a hundred local people as volunteers. We have several different roles, to suit most people’s interests and are keen to recruit people with a wide range of experiences. Previous advice experience is not necessary as we offer a full training programme.

We use volunteers in all three of our main offices in Hanley, Newcastle under Lyme and Biddulph and for our telephone and web chat services.

Many employers value the training and experience that CAB volunteering can bring and many of our volunteers use their time with us as a stepping stone into work.

Even if you are not looking for work, but would like to give your time to us and, more importantly, to our clients, please click here to find out more about our current volunteering opportunities.

Click here for more details


Work for us

We currently employ around 80 people in various roles, as advisers, caseworkers, supervisors, administrative and support staff. We are keen to recruit staff who share our values and desire to fight poverty and inequality.

Vacancies are advertised in the national media and on this site. For details of our current vacancies and to download our application packs please click here.

Donate to us

pound 414420 6401As a local registered charity we are entirely reliant on our own fundraising efforts to keep our services going. Perhaps you, a friend or member of your family has used a Citizens Advice Bureau for help with sorting out a problem.

Please consider supporting us with a donation. Any amount would be greatly appreciated and help us to help more local people.


How to donate:

Online – we will be adding an online donation facility soon. Please come back and use it.

Or by post:
Please send a cheque or postal order to:
Staffordshire North & Stoke-on-Trent CAB,
Advice House,
Stoke-on-Trent ST1 1HL.

Buy our Training

IMG 4283We offer a wide range of training to staff and volunteers across the public and voluntary sectors. Some of this training is free, where it is provided as part of a specific project, and some we have to charge for. All our training is offered by skilled and experienced trainers.

We have a new training brand called Advice House. For details of the latest Advice House brochure, that describes the courses offered follow the link below. Most Advice House courses are on social security benefits, especially those affected by welfare reforms, or issues around working with people seeking asylum and other new migrants.

For more details of the sessions that are currently available and to read feedback from previous participants, please click here.

Place students with us

If you are responsible for placing social work or medical students in workplace placements please contact us. We have hosted social work placements for both BA and MA students for many years, working with several local universities.For more details contact Jude Hawes.

Commission our services

If you commission services for the public and the people using your services have problems with debt, social security benefits, housing, employment or immigration then we can help. To find out more please contact Simon Harris.

Campaign with us

For many years the CAB service has recognised that simply giving advice is not enough to solve the problems people face.

Each enquirer who asks us for advice also presents us with evidence of how legislation, public administration or commercial practice impacts upon their lives.  Both as a local organisation and part of the wider CAB service, we have a responsibility to use that evidence to influence the development and implementation of policy and to highlight issues of poor practice and exploitation.

If you want to help change policy, by volunteering with us click here for further details. You can find out more about our campaigning work by clicking here.

Let us know how we've done

If you have used our service, or tried to and been unable to, we want to know. If you would like to give us any feedback please complete email us or write to us..